Skip to main content

Nice Girls Don't Get Rich!

What kind of relationship do you have with your money?

Nice Girls Don’t Get Rich – 75 Avoidable Mistakes Women Make With Money by Lois P.Frankel is a book about financial thinking and not financial planning. I had to get that out before you think that this a quick guide to wealth – something we all know doesn't exist.

“This book is dedicated to every woman who works too hard, earns too little, and never seems to get ahead financially”.

That dedication line from the author caught my attention because it is a story most of us share. We have the careers, look the part, live the life but we don’t see ourselves moving ahead financially at the pace we would love to.

I picked up this book: Nice Girls Don’t Get Rich because of two words on the cover “rich” and “mistakes”.  From what’s written on the cover I figured that she meant we can get rich from what we have but we make mistakes with it. That caught my attention because I’d rather be told how to make the most with what I have and not what I must still get.  

How do you think about your money?

“Being rich is about having the ability to live your life abundantly – however you define abundance.”

A great amount of time is spent on the concept of what rich is and she makes it clear that the definition of "rich" is a personal thing. Basically, are you eating from hand to mouth or living comfortably? Whatever “comfortably” is to you.

Frankel breaks the 75 mistakes into 9 chapters. Most of the advice is on point and we’ll have you thinking. There are a couple of pages dedicated to married women. If you are planning to get married or are already married; there are some awesome tips on how to deal with the topic of money. And there is also a chapter for you if you are considering cohabiting.

The book we’ll challenge how you think about money. If you've read Nice Girls Don’t Get the Corner office; you’ll see that the messages are interlinked. Just like the work-place is a game. How you view money is a game.

Do you read financial books, websites or business pages of newspapers? That is part of investing in you. The road to wealth is a road about investing in you. As women we are taught that men know more about money but that is a myth. If we took more responsibility in knowing the terms and financial jargon we’d have better control of our hard earned money.

Financial thinking is a habit according to Frankel. She points out that small things like getting your dress fixed and taking clothes to the dry-cleaner is part of taking care of your assets. You bought them – they cost money – don’t disregard them and not maintain them.

I’d recommend this book if you are ready to change your relationship with money.

The mistakes that stood out for me were:
  • Striving for Survival not wealth
  • Not Knowing your Net Worth
  • Not Making Your Financial Well-Being a Priority
  • Choosing to Remain Financially Illiterate
  • Not Attending to Your Existing Material Assets
  • Giving in To Social Pressure
  • Paying Bills, Not Managing Money
  • Giving Away Your Time
  • Not Charging for your services
  • Failure to Negotiate 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Curious Case of Pinky Pinky: The Toilet Tokoloshe

There was once a Tokoloshe, her name was Pinky Pinky – she lived in the girls’ school toilets, sang a song that introduced her and told you about her parents. She’d then end the song by demanding you give her something. Thanks to Pinky Pinky, her choice of location and her singing – I've yet to feel completely comfortable using public toilets. I first heard about Pinky Pinky when I was in Sub A (now known as Grade 1). She terrorized girls my age, demanding money or (as I recently heard) stole their panties. I think she’d also want whatever pink item you had on you. If you couldn't give in to Pinky Pinky’s demands – you were in big trouble. I don’t remember the details of what she’d do to you but what I knew is that it would be painful. Pinky Pinky was so dangerous she even made it into a national newspaper – although they used a blurry picture. There were different stories told about how she looked – none mentioned a beautiful creature. Her looks were things horror mo...

Book Review: Are You David or Goliath?

Ever stopped yourself from working on a dream because you thought you were not ready or it was too big for you to put together? We sometime convince ourselves that we are not skilled, educated or experienced enough to attempt going after ideas or opportunities close to our hearts.  Malcolm Gladwell , addresses this very mind-set in his book, David and Goliath, Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants .  Throughout the book references the lives of game changers to make the point that we can be who or what we want to be – or at least try, regardless of our so-called weaknesses. As I read this book I recalled many times in my life that I backed down on an opportunity because I believed it was meant for someone from a better school, a higher education or more experience. In those moments I discounted the fact that I was passionate about those subjects or would enjoy the challenge of learning about a field I was curious about. “The powerful and the stro...

BOOK REVIEW: Miss Behave

“Sometimes we are so steeped in what has been prescribed for us that we need to completely recreate ourselves. That takes guts. Standing against stereotypes sends you on a journey of learning and unlearning, which takes a long time” (Sephodi, 2017:29). This quote from Malebo Sephodi ’s Miss Behave best describes my life since 2013. A journey of self-discovery. A journey of unpacking who Tokiso is and what she is about. A journey of forgiveness. A journey of letting go. It hasn’t been an easy one. Hence reading Malebo’s book was so personal. It felt like she was talking about me as she walked us through her learnt experience as a black South African woman. I went to the 2017 Abantu book festival in Soweto knowing that this would be one of the books I would walk away with. I thought that I would read it throughout my December break – but I found myself hooked to the book and done with it within two days. It was an emotional ride. The chapter that spoke to me the most was...