Skip to main content

Some things are not meant to make sense!




Ever played out a moment in your life over and over again in your head – trying to make sense of the situation, looking for blame, trying to figure out where things could have changed? How many answers did you get? Would they have changed things for the best? How sure are you of this?

Some things are not meant to make sense! That’s what I've decided and it grants me sanity – especially in situations that brought some form of pain – a suffering. We don’t usually question happy times but we question the bad. We ask why me, what did I do wrong, was I not good enough, did I not give it my all…

Meditating on the past and the ‘what could have been’ of life is not healthy. We breathe life into the past, we keep the hurt alive, we keep it fresh – at some point we must accept and move on.

I’d love to have all the answers to all my pains, my struggles and things that just fell apart without warning – but the fact of the matter is, some questions are best left unanswered.

Pain is inevitable – find your strength, learn the lessons and move on. There is no time-frame as to how long this might happen and I believe that forgetting is not always possible. But I do believe we can carry on. We can carry on knowing that looking back, there are some things you can’t explain and I also believe that some times the answer to the question will come when we live our best lives.

But until that time the answer comes, if it does, I am comfortable accepting that some things are not meant to make sense. 

How do you find your sanity in the pain? Please share...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Curious Case of Pinky Pinky: The Toilet Tokoloshe

There was once a Tokoloshe, her name was Pinky Pinky – she lived in the girls’ school toilets, sang a song that introduced her and told you about her parents. She’d then end the song by demanding you give her something. Thanks to Pinky Pinky, her choice of location and her singing – I've yet to feel completely comfortable using public toilets. I first heard about Pinky Pinky when I was in Sub A (now known as Grade 1). She terrorized girls my age, demanding money or (as I recently heard) stole their panties. I think she’d also want whatever pink item you had on you. If you couldn't give in to Pinky Pinky’s demands – you were in big trouble. I don’t remember the details of what she’d do to you but what I knew is that it would be painful. Pinky Pinky was so dangerous she even made it into a national newspaper – although they used a blurry picture. There were different stories told about how she looked – none mentioned a beautiful creature. Her looks were things horror mo...

Book Review: Are You David or Goliath?

Ever stopped yourself from working on a dream because you thought you were not ready or it was too big for you to put together? We sometime convince ourselves that we are not skilled, educated or experienced enough to attempt going after ideas or opportunities close to our hearts.  Malcolm Gladwell , addresses this very mind-set in his book, David and Goliath, Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants .  Throughout the book references the lives of game changers to make the point that we can be who or what we want to be – or at least try, regardless of our so-called weaknesses. As I read this book I recalled many times in my life that I backed down on an opportunity because I believed it was meant for someone from a better school, a higher education or more experience. In those moments I discounted the fact that I was passionate about those subjects or would enjoy the challenge of learning about a field I was curious about. “The powerful and the stro...

BOOK REVIEW: Miss Behave

“Sometimes we are so steeped in what has been prescribed for us that we need to completely recreate ourselves. That takes guts. Standing against stereotypes sends you on a journey of learning and unlearning, which takes a long time” (Sephodi, 2017:29). This quote from Malebo Sephodi ’s Miss Behave best describes my life since 2013. A journey of self-discovery. A journey of unpacking who Tokiso is and what she is about. A journey of forgiveness. A journey of letting go. It hasn’t been an easy one. Hence reading Malebo’s book was so personal. It felt like she was talking about me as she walked us through her learnt experience as a black South African woman. I went to the 2017 Abantu book festival in Soweto knowing that this would be one of the books I would walk away with. I thought that I would read it throughout my December break – but I found myself hooked to the book and done with it within two days. It was an emotional ride. The chapter that spoke to me the most was...