Skip to main content

Dear #MyGoogleZA...[A love letter]

Hey you, I’d say it’s been a while but I checked with you about this letter before I wrote it. I don’t remember when, where and how we met but it feels like you’ve been with me my whole life. From my days as a tertiary student trying to figure out different political ideologies and learning to sift through facts and fiction…you are consistent but not all your info is honest.

This is what I love about you. You’ve connected me with people, places and subjects I doubt I would have met had you not been created. I still remember how when I applied for my honours degree at Wits, it was with your help that I could get all the information I needed. And that one time you saved me from dating a married man and how could I forget how your maps got me to interviews on time.

As you grow, I’ve grown. Thanks to you, I have gone from being a journalist to a digital content strategist – how cool is that. Every day I find myself asking you “how to…” so many things. My current obsession are the motivational videos on YouTube that kick-start my day and the great fitness beasts that encourage me to keep moving.

Oh, Google….without you I would be incomplete. I check with you everything from how to decorate my house, put together a budget, put together a research paper for my Masters…basically you have your hooks on me.


Thank you for always having my back – even though you’ve pissed my doctor off a couple of times.

Yours in curiosity,
Tokiso 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Curious Case of Pinky Pinky: The Toilet Tokoloshe

There was once a Tokoloshe, her name was Pinky Pinky – she lived in the girls’ school toilets, sang a song that introduced her and told you about her parents. She’d then end the song by demanding you give her something. Thanks to Pinky Pinky, her choice of location and her singing – I've yet to feel completely comfortable using public toilets. I first heard about Pinky Pinky when I was in Sub A (now known as Grade 1). She terrorized girls my age, demanding money or (as I recently heard) stole their panties. I think she’d also want whatever pink item you had on you. If you couldn't give in to Pinky Pinky’s demands – you were in big trouble. I don’t remember the details of what she’d do to you but what I knew is that it would be painful. Pinky Pinky was so dangerous she even made it into a national newspaper – although they used a blurry picture. There were different stories told about how she looked – none mentioned a beautiful creature. Her looks were things horror mo...

Book Review: Are You David or Goliath?

Ever stopped yourself from working on a dream because you thought you were not ready or it was too big for you to put together? We sometime convince ourselves that we are not skilled, educated or experienced enough to attempt going after ideas or opportunities close to our hearts.  Malcolm Gladwell , addresses this very mind-set in his book, David and Goliath, Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants .  Throughout the book references the lives of game changers to make the point that we can be who or what we want to be – or at least try, regardless of our so-called weaknesses. As I read this book I recalled many times in my life that I backed down on an opportunity because I believed it was meant for someone from a better school, a higher education or more experience. In those moments I discounted the fact that I was passionate about those subjects or would enjoy the challenge of learning about a field I was curious about. “The powerful and the stro...

BOOK REVIEW: Miss Behave

“Sometimes we are so steeped in what has been prescribed for us that we need to completely recreate ourselves. That takes guts. Standing against stereotypes sends you on a journey of learning and unlearning, which takes a long time” (Sephodi, 2017:29). This quote from Malebo Sephodi ’s Miss Behave best describes my life since 2013. A journey of self-discovery. A journey of unpacking who Tokiso is and what she is about. A journey of forgiveness. A journey of letting go. It hasn’t been an easy one. Hence reading Malebo’s book was so personal. It felt like she was talking about me as she walked us through her learnt experience as a black South African woman. I went to the 2017 Abantu book festival in Soweto knowing that this would be one of the books I would walk away with. I thought that I would read it throughout my December break – but I found myself hooked to the book and done with it within two days. It was an emotional ride. The chapter that spoke to me the most was...