Skip to main content

BOOK REVIEW: Zoo



Credit: BL
Hectically trying to complete my Masters and learning to mother my new born baby, I suddenly had an urge to read a favourite book again. I reread Zoo by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge for one key reason: to escape to a world that has the potential to happen considering how humans are rapidly damaging the earth.

My interest in the book was also peaked by the series Zoo, based on the book, which I binge watched on Netflix whilst on Maternity Leave. The series really worked for me. It captured the intensity of the book and the plot twist for TV was not too off the mark from the intention of the book.

What was Zoo about? Well, imagine if all the world's animals got together and turned on us. By turn on us, I mean, hunt and brutally killed us. An animal revolution. We are told the story from the eyes of a varsity dropout biologist, Jackson Oz, who discovers that there is something wrong with the animals and no one believes him because of his lack of credentials - until it is too late.

Without giving away too much about the story, I can tell you that although the book is heavy on blood and death from the teeth of angry animals - it is an easy to follow read with a touch of romance and moments that will drive you crazy as humans just act like humans. The highlight of the book for mostly walking the journey with Oz as he tried to figure what could be causing the change in animal behaviour. Throughout the book he is either trying to figure what the problem is or fighting to trial a solution.

The dynamics between him, other scientists and political leaders reads like something anyone reading this review could go through at any given point. In addition, the writing of the story is really simple and easy to grasp. The chapters are really short giving the reader an impression that they are working through the book rather fast - but the reality is that chapters are extremely short.

Another interesting twist to this thriller is that the author would let us view the world from the view of the animals.It doesn’t happen a lot but the few times the authors allowed for the animals voice to be heard - the reader was able to get an idea of how the animals were feeling. Pretty strange moments seeing how an animal revolution in this case is nothing like the classic Animal Farm.

This is really a great novel to sink your teeth into if you are looking for something well written, not too heavy and as a form of escapism. The ending is not predictable at all and really worth reading to the very end.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Curious Case of Pinky Pinky: The Toilet Tokoloshe

There was once a Tokoloshe, her name was Pinky Pinky – she lived in the girls’ school toilets, sang a song that introduced her and told you about her parents. She’d then end the song by demanding you give her something. Thanks to Pinky Pinky, her choice of location and her singing – I've yet to feel completely comfortable using public toilets. I first heard about Pinky Pinky when I was in Sub A (now known as Grade 1). She terrorized girls my age, demanding money or (as I recently heard) stole their panties. I think she’d also want whatever pink item you had on you. If you couldn't give in to Pinky Pinky’s demands – you were in big trouble. I don’t remember the details of what she’d do to you but what I knew is that it would be painful. Pinky Pinky was so dangerous she even made it into a national newspaper – although they used a blurry picture. There were different stories told about how she looked – none mentioned a beautiful creature. Her looks were things horror mo...

Book Review: Are You David or Goliath?

Ever stopped yourself from working on a dream because you thought you were not ready or it was too big for you to put together? We sometime convince ourselves that we are not skilled, educated or experienced enough to attempt going after ideas or opportunities close to our hearts.  Malcolm Gladwell , addresses this very mind-set in his book, David and Goliath, Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants .  Throughout the book references the lives of game changers to make the point that we can be who or what we want to be – or at least try, regardless of our so-called weaknesses. As I read this book I recalled many times in my life that I backed down on an opportunity because I believed it was meant for someone from a better school, a higher education or more experience. In those moments I discounted the fact that I was passionate about those subjects or would enjoy the challenge of learning about a field I was curious about. “The powerful and the stro...

BOOK REVIEW: Miss Behave

“Sometimes we are so steeped in what has been prescribed for us that we need to completely recreate ourselves. That takes guts. Standing against stereotypes sends you on a journey of learning and unlearning, which takes a long time” (Sephodi, 2017:29). This quote from Malebo Sephodi ’s Miss Behave best describes my life since 2013. A journey of self-discovery. A journey of unpacking who Tokiso is and what she is about. A journey of forgiveness. A journey of letting go. It hasn’t been an easy one. Hence reading Malebo’s book was so personal. It felt like she was talking about me as she walked us through her learnt experience as a black South African woman. I went to the 2017 Abantu book festival in Soweto knowing that this would be one of the books I would walk away with. I thought that I would read it throughout my December break – but I found myself hooked to the book and done with it within two days. It was an emotional ride. The chapter that spoke to me the most was...