Skip to main content

#TokisoVisitsLondon: Hello London

We landed at 06.38 - London time on Monday morning. A bit delayed due to turbulence disturbance - according to the announcement. Great flight it was. I kept looking out the window as we were descending to see if I recognised any of the structures from the sky. I saw the London Eye. Hopefully it is close proximity to where I will be staying so I can visit.

From the runway, Heathrow Airport looked like any other airport. Busy and buzzing with people going about their business. As we land, there is ample traffic of planes coming in and flying out. The Captain announced that there temperature is a chilling 11 degrees. My word - I think. I best get my big ass coat out as soon as I get a chance. 

It didn't take me long through the border and security, getting my bag (still in tact) and finding my driver - Moses. There is nothing mind blowing about this airport. Felt like any other big airport. I might be wrong but I think it is a bit smaller than OR Tambo. 

Moses, my driver was welcoming from the word go. He is from Uganda. Obviously grabbed the opportunity to ask me about the recent xenophobic violence in South Africa. We sat in about an hour 30 minutes plus traffic to the hotel. What I learnt about him was: he is married with children, was a business man back home, has been in London for 25 years and has seven children. He is 50 years old.

His life is dedicated to educating and empowering his children. Hopes to get them all through university. So far three degrees bagged from the seven. The other children are still in primary and secondary school. 

I asked him if he would return to Uganda, his words, "I do not sleep in the past". He is grateful he was able to educate his children in one of the best countries in the world. He says when they are done with school he might consider going back. He is a hands on dad, quit his IT job because his family needed more time than his job. He wanted to be involved with educating his children. He emphasised to me the power of education and how I should ensure my children learn maths, science and are computer savvy.

He made sure to use the drive to show me Buckingham Palace, The Palace of Westminster, London Eye, Big Ben and MI6 (yes it is a real place not just a James Bond made up place). He also showed me routes to use when walking about.

Our ride could have been longer but it didn't feel like it. Although I was tired and just wanted to rest - I enjoyed our chat and was happy to let him know that South African's are not xenophobic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Curious Case of Pinky Pinky: The Toilet Tokoloshe

There was once a Tokoloshe, her name was Pinky Pinky – she lived in the girls’ school toilets, sang a song that introduced her and told you about her parents. She’d then end the song by demanding you give her something. Thanks to Pinky Pinky, her choice of location and her singing – I've yet to feel completely comfortable using public toilets. I first heard about Pinky Pinky when I was in Sub A (now known as Grade 1). She terrorized girls my age, demanding money or (as I recently heard) stole their panties. I think she’d also want whatever pink item you had on you. If you couldn't give in to Pinky Pinky’s demands – you were in big trouble. I don’t remember the details of what she’d do to you but what I knew is that it would be painful. Pinky Pinky was so dangerous she even made it into a national newspaper – although they used a blurry picture. There were different stories told about how she looked – none mentioned a beautiful creature. Her looks were things horror mo...

Book Review: Are You David or Goliath?

Ever stopped yourself from working on a dream because you thought you were not ready or it was too big for you to put together? We sometime convince ourselves that we are not skilled, educated or experienced enough to attempt going after ideas or opportunities close to our hearts.  Malcolm Gladwell , addresses this very mind-set in his book, David and Goliath, Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants .  Throughout the book references the lives of game changers to make the point that we can be who or what we want to be – or at least try, regardless of our so-called weaknesses. As I read this book I recalled many times in my life that I backed down on an opportunity because I believed it was meant for someone from a better school, a higher education or more experience. In those moments I discounted the fact that I was passionate about those subjects or would enjoy the challenge of learning about a field I was curious about. “The powerful and the stro...

BOOK REVIEW: Miss Behave

“Sometimes we are so steeped in what has been prescribed for us that we need to completely recreate ourselves. That takes guts. Standing against stereotypes sends you on a journey of learning and unlearning, which takes a long time” (Sephodi, 2017:29). This quote from Malebo Sephodi ’s Miss Behave best describes my life since 2013. A journey of self-discovery. A journey of unpacking who Tokiso is and what she is about. A journey of forgiveness. A journey of letting go. It hasn’t been an easy one. Hence reading Malebo’s book was so personal. It felt like she was talking about me as she walked us through her learnt experience as a black South African woman. I went to the 2017 Abantu book festival in Soweto knowing that this would be one of the books I would walk away with. I thought that I would read it throughout my December break – but I found myself hooked to the book and done with it within two days. It was an emotional ride. The chapter that spoke to me the most was...