Skip to main content

1668 Play Lifts My Mood


I’m an emotional creature; my moods dictate my activities for days and nights – when I’m not being paid. Most of the time, regardless of my mood – I’d rather be on my own. 

That being said, I’m working on breaking this habit and forcing myself to “go out there” even when I’d rather lie on my bed and read a book. I was in such a horrid mood when I dragged myself to go watch Moliere’s The Miser at the Market Theatre recently. 

To meet my moods half way I didn't invite a friend and so I was still alone but yet with people. The play, originally written when French monarchs ruled in 1668, is relevant to our times. 

The main character, Harpagon, is a wealthy loan shark whose love for money is as powerful as his stingy ways. He has two children; daughter and son who don’t understand his way.

Harpagon played by Lionel Newton    Pictures by: Ruphin Coudyzer 


They know that they are wealthy and that their father is stingy and mean but they don’t seem to know how he acquired this money. Harpagon is so stingy he never uses the word “give” but would rather say “loan” when you ask money from him. 

His ‘servants’ seem to have gone a bit insane because of his cruelty and weird ways. The twist is when he woes a young woman but doesn't know that his son is in love with the same woman. 

Harpagon’s prerequisite for a wife is that she doesn't like shiny things and spending money. She should be happy in the condition she is currently in and not be interested in improving. 

Harpagon wants all the pleasures of life but doesn't want to pay for them. He is the kind of man whose idea of relaxing is to sit where he has hid his money and just watch it. 

A scene from the play.        Pictures by Ruphin Coudyzer 


The play is hilarious. The music, set, lighting and cast – all were in sync. 

Although the English a bit old school, they did try to localise it. I loved how the cast used their body language to help tell the story. Most actions were exaggerated, which added to the humour. 

Atandwa Kani and Kate Liquorish in character.  Pictures by Ruphin Coudyzer 

It stars Atandwa Kani, the legendary John Kani’s son. Atandwa is truly his father’s son. He is an amazing actor. 

And it was really great spotting his father in the audience – I had to hold back my groupie moment. The play is a bit long hence there is a break. 

I walked out of the theatre all smiles and not at all grumpy. I feel this is what going out should be about – spirit lifting.

P.S
The show is on at The Market Theatre until 9 December 2012. I recommend you make time to watch it and lets chat about your thoughts on it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Curious Case of Pinky Pinky: The Toilet Tokoloshe

There was once a Tokoloshe, her name was Pinky Pinky – she lived in the girls’ school toilets, sang a song that introduced her and told you about her parents. She’d then end the song by demanding you give her something. Thanks to Pinky Pinky, her choice of location and her singing – I've yet to feel completely comfortable using public toilets. I first heard about Pinky Pinky when I was in Sub A (now known as Grade 1). She terrorized girls my age, demanding money or (as I recently heard) stole their panties. I think she’d also want whatever pink item you had on you. If you couldn't give in to Pinky Pinky’s demands – you were in big trouble. I don’t remember the details of what she’d do to you but what I knew is that it would be painful. Pinky Pinky was so dangerous she even made it into a national newspaper – although they used a blurry picture. There were different stories told about how she looked – none mentioned a beautiful creature. Her looks were things horror mo...

Book Review: Are You David or Goliath?

Ever stopped yourself from working on a dream because you thought you were not ready or it was too big for you to put together? We sometime convince ourselves that we are not skilled, educated or experienced enough to attempt going after ideas or opportunities close to our hearts.  Malcolm Gladwell , addresses this very mind-set in his book, David and Goliath, Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants .  Throughout the book references the lives of game changers to make the point that we can be who or what we want to be – or at least try, regardless of our so-called weaknesses. As I read this book I recalled many times in my life that I backed down on an opportunity because I believed it was meant for someone from a better school, a higher education or more experience. In those moments I discounted the fact that I was passionate about those subjects or would enjoy the challenge of learning about a field I was curious about. “The powerful and the stro...

BOOK REVIEW: Miss Behave

“Sometimes we are so steeped in what has been prescribed for us that we need to completely recreate ourselves. That takes guts. Standing against stereotypes sends you on a journey of learning and unlearning, which takes a long time” (Sephodi, 2017:29). This quote from Malebo Sephodi ’s Miss Behave best describes my life since 2013. A journey of self-discovery. A journey of unpacking who Tokiso is and what she is about. A journey of forgiveness. A journey of letting go. It hasn’t been an easy one. Hence reading Malebo’s book was so personal. It felt like she was talking about me as she walked us through her learnt experience as a black South African woman. I went to the 2017 Abantu book festival in Soweto knowing that this would be one of the books I would walk away with. I thought that I would read it throughout my December break – but I found myself hooked to the book and done with it within two days. It was an emotional ride. The chapter that spoke to me the most was...