Skip to main content

Alex Cross (Movie Review)

I’m an action and thriller type of girl. I love guns, blood and a whole lot of ass-whipping. So I get irritated when a movie promises all these things but gives me scene after scene of softness.


Alex Cross features the king of soft, Tyler Perry BUT this is not one of his Madea movies – he didn't write or direct this flick. I was left bored and wishing I’d waited for it to get to DVD.

I’ll be fair, this was his first action role and he performed….okay. 

The movie starts with a not so fit Alex Cross (Perry) huffing and puffing after a criminal, gun in hand. He is wearing a long trench coat which tells you that Cross is a top cop. He is very fatherly in how he leads his team. 

He has a family; a beautiful wife, two adorable children and his mother stays with them. And his mother is played by one of those grand-mothers from his Madea movies. 

Anyway, somewhere past the soppy stuff, in comes the villain played by Matthew Fox. He is my favourite character. 

He can give one hell of an ass whipping, is very smart and loves to give pain – and can take pain just as well. This psychopath saves the movie. 

He doesn't say much through out the movie but when he speaks, chills run down your spine. But as soon as the movie turned to the hero, I couldn't help but start digging in my hand bag for hand lotion, then my lip gloss, and yeah that mint I know is in there somewhere.

The villain dies and just as I was about to grab my bag and rush out the cinema Cross says, “…no it’s not over”. My immediate reaction was, “what now!”

Ultimately the movie ends with a scene that could have come straight out of a soppy Tyler Perry movie. This is a nice movie for a couple making a compromise of sorts, when one is into action and the other soppy stuff. It’s the greatest compromise. 

But if like me, you are into hard core action; wait for it on DVD. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Curious Case of Pinky Pinky: The Toilet Tokoloshe

There was once a Tokoloshe, her name was Pinky Pinky – she lived in the girls’ school toilets, sang a song that introduced her and told you about her parents. She’d then end the song by demanding you give her something. Thanks to Pinky Pinky, her choice of location and her singing – I've yet to feel completely comfortable using public toilets. I first heard about Pinky Pinky when I was in Sub A (now known as Grade 1). She terrorized girls my age, demanding money or (as I recently heard) stole their panties. I think she’d also want whatever pink item you had on you. If you couldn't give in to Pinky Pinky’s demands – you were in big trouble. I don’t remember the details of what she’d do to you but what I knew is that it would be painful. Pinky Pinky was so dangerous she even made it into a national newspaper – although they used a blurry picture. There were different stories told about how she looked – none mentioned a beautiful creature. Her looks were things horror mo...

Book Review: Are You David or Goliath?

Ever stopped yourself from working on a dream because you thought you were not ready or it was too big for you to put together? We sometime convince ourselves that we are not skilled, educated or experienced enough to attempt going after ideas or opportunities close to our hearts.  Malcolm Gladwell , addresses this very mind-set in his book, David and Goliath, Underdogs, Misfits and the Art of Battling Giants .  Throughout the book references the lives of game changers to make the point that we can be who or what we want to be – or at least try, regardless of our so-called weaknesses. As I read this book I recalled many times in my life that I backed down on an opportunity because I believed it was meant for someone from a better school, a higher education or more experience. In those moments I discounted the fact that I was passionate about those subjects or would enjoy the challenge of learning about a field I was curious about. “The powerful and the stro...

BOOK REVIEW: Miss Behave

“Sometimes we are so steeped in what has been prescribed for us that we need to completely recreate ourselves. That takes guts. Standing against stereotypes sends you on a journey of learning and unlearning, which takes a long time” (Sephodi, 2017:29). This quote from Malebo Sephodi ’s Miss Behave best describes my life since 2013. A journey of self-discovery. A journey of unpacking who Tokiso is and what she is about. A journey of forgiveness. A journey of letting go. It hasn’t been an easy one. Hence reading Malebo’s book was so personal. It felt like she was talking about me as she walked us through her learnt experience as a black South African woman. I went to the 2017 Abantu book festival in Soweto knowing that this would be one of the books I would walk away with. I thought that I would read it throughout my December break – but I found myself hooked to the book and done with it within two days. It was an emotional ride. The chapter that spoke to me the most was...